Avramovic: It's not about me






SINGAPORE: In his near decade-long spell as Singapore's national coach, Radojko Avramovic has always cut an intriguing figure - a fuss-free man of few words, gruff at times, but always charming with the occasional dose of deadpan humour.

And in typical understated fashion, he played down his role in masterminding the Lions' path to victory in the 2012 ASEAN Football Federation (AFF) Suzuki Cup after a 3-2 aggregate win over Thailand despite losing the second-leg 1-0 at Bangkok's Supachalasai Stadium on Saturday.

It was Singapore's fourth AFF Championship title - a record - three of which were under Avramovic.

Even though he is bowing out as the Lions' head coach, the 63-year-old Serb preferred that the talk centred on his 22-man squad.

"There was no loser in this final," said Avramovic after Saturday's tempestuous encounter.

"We won in Singapore and Thailand won in Bangkok. We gave our best and Thailand gave their best too. But in the end, luck favoured us a little and that's why we won the Cup."

In his nine-and-a-half years as Lions coach, the former Notts County and Coventry City goalkeeper sealed his reputation as a tough taskmaster who usually said what he needed to say in a short and sharp manner.

Like most in his trade, he faced calls for his head on several occasions when results did not go his way, including the group stage exit from the 2010 AFF Suzuki Cup.

But throughout the years, Avramovic, who succeeded Dane Jan Poulsen as Singapore's head coach in July 2003 after spells with Oman and Kuwait, stuck with the likes of veterans Daniel Benett, Baihakki Khaizan, Shahril Ishak and Khairul Amri, all of whom were part of his three AFF Championship winning squads of 2004, 2007 and now 2012.

And that solidity and familiarity showed on Saturday night, as they withstood a Thai onslaught that started almost from the first whistle.

In a rare public show of emotion, Avramovic paid tribute to them, as well as all involved with the squad.

"I say a big thank you to my players. They won the cup for Singapore and I only played a small part," he said. "But we trusted each other and we use the trust to build a winning team.

"Maybe I have been lucky in the sense that I managed to win three AFF titles with Singapore. But there was the unwavering support from everybody connected with the team which helped a lot. I alone cannot do such a job."

Although Kirati Keawsombut's 45th minute header giving Thailand the eventual 1-0 win in Saturday's second-leg, Singapore prevailed thanks to their 3-1 win in Wednesday's first-leg at the Jalan Besar Stadium through goals from Fahrudin Mustafic, Amri and an injury-time strike from Baihakki which proved decisive.

Thailand were also looking to become the first side to lift the AFF Championship trophy four times, having done so in 1996, 2000 and 2002, and they needed at least a 2-0 victory to draw 3-3 and win on the away goals rule to do so.

But the likes of Datsakorn Thonglao and Teerasil Dangda, the tournament's leading scorer with five goals, failed to find a way past a resolute Lions more than once despite vociferous support from the 20,000 crowd inside the Supachalasai Stadium.

Nonetheless, Thailand coach Winfried Schafer felt his team had done their best.

"We gave 100 per cent but it was not enough," said the German.

"We were very tired in the last ten minutes but overall I am proud my team. At least we scored a victory over Singapore but one goal was not enough. I don't like being in second place but what to do? I accept the result."

Apart from Avramovic, it is also the last for 42-year-old forward Aleksandar Duric in Singapore colours. But midfielder Isa Halim is sure to feature in the tournament's next edition in 2014, which is set to be co-hosted by Singapore and Vietnam.

"It's my first AFF tournament and I am a winner of a championship medal," said the 26-year-old who came in after Hariss Harun suffered a fractured shin in Singapore's second Group B match against Indonesia.

"Words just cannot describe my feelings right now. Hopefully I can use this experience to help me become a better player in the international arena.

"It was a tough 90 minutes for me as a defensive midfielder. But I will learn from it."

Isa's midfield partner Fahrudin Mustafic also played in a vital role over the two-legged final, including converting a twice-taken penalty to give the Lions the lead in the first-leg.

Despite suffering a groin injury which threatened his chances of appearing in the final, the 31-year-old Tampines Rovers star soldiered on and kept the Thai midfield of Datsakorn Thonglao, Pichitphong Choeichiu and Adul Lahsoh at bay.

"It was sheer hard work for us tonight. The Thais were the better team I have to admit," he said.

"But now with the medal around my neck I can look forward to a well-earned rest. It has been a long two months for me. Right after the S-League season is over I reported for training with the National team and I have been on my toes since then.

"I am not complaining. The medal means so much to me and to the team and to coach Raddy. He had faith in us and we had faith in him." -- ADDITIONAL REPORTING FROM DAN GUEN CHIN IN BANGKOK

- TODAY/jc



You're reading an article about
Avramovic: It's not about me
This article
Avramovic: It's not about me
can be opened in url
http://newsvailer.blogspot.com/2012/12/avramovic-it-not-about-me.html
Avramovic: It's not about me